Shotgun & Rifle on every stand. (video)

Good job Tom! The article and video have some great information in them. I like the way you have your sticks set up.

I agree with you on having the shotgun in your hands and having the rifle ready to go on sticks or a bi-pod. Not too long ago I saw a TV show where the guy doing the calling had his rifle in his hands and the shotgun sitting on the ground next to him. I thought that was pretty funny.

Thank you,Tom. This was very helpful for me. I made some rookie mistakes my first calling season setting up stands costing me my first two coyotes and probably more. Setup tips like these will hopefully help my success rate going forward.

Raptor

That is a great setup. Can I ask how you carry all that stuff to each stand? And what else do you carry? I have a hard enough time just getting all my junk and one weapon to each stand.

Good post. I do something similar but I have it on the other side, right handed, but I agree keep the shotgun ready, thats the one you will need in a hurry. I carry one in my hand and sling the other. My sticks are tucked under my belt and my stool or pad are carried with a strap over my shoulder. It takes a little longer but you will kill more and educate less.

Originally Posted By: 3807patriotWhat is the rubber gun snubber?

They sell them in the restroom at the gas station...duh!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Good post and video Tom. If guys only get one thing out of it, it would be to put the rifle on sticks...and hold that shotgun...not visa-versa!

Good info my friend.

Tony

3807 Patriot, If you are close to a Cabela's, Bass Pro, or a dealer that handles ATVs, they usually carry them in the ATV accessory area, next to the gun rack supplies..

Thanks for the tip Old Turtle. We just got a new Cabellas here in town, I'll tell my wife you said I had to go back there. She will love ya for that. Actually she has almost as much fun as I do shopping there.

Thanks for the good info. I picked up a couple of tips from that.

Who makes the shooting sticks you are using Tom? I have Primos Trigger Sticks which I really like but I might want to check these out too.

Kerry, My shotgun is the Benelli M4 with the Military Joint Service Combat collapsible stock installed. Holds 8 rounds of 3" shells.

Tangle Eye, unfortunately, I use the Predator Sniper Styx have been discontinued. Great Sticks.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceKerry, My shotgun is the Benelli M4 with the Military Joint Service Combat collapsible stock installed. Holds 8 rounds of 3" shells.

Tangle Eye, unfortunately, I use the Predator Sniper Styx have been discontinued. Great Sticks.

Thanks for the info. The sticks looked like Stoney Point. I like the way you set upmthe rifle so I may look for similar sticks. I have Primos Trigger Sticks which I like but they won't go down as low as the ones in your video.

I haven't seen the Predator Sniper Stix or the Stoney Point Steady Sticks II but they look very similar in Internet pics. Anybody able to make a comparison?

The key to the sticks is making sure they are made of one solid piece. The tent pole foldable/collapsible ones aren't rigid enough. They also seem to pull apart at the worst time. Especially when the ends get stuck in mud or snow. You'll go to move on a coyote and the sticks pull apart and make for a huge headache. Just my experience.

I prefer the sticks to a bipod. The bipod works great on level ground at the right height. The shooting sticks are adjustable infinately as far as height and accounting for uneven ground. As far as the sticks coming apart, electrical tape them together at the joints and you will not have that problem again. They are a little more of a pain to carry extended fully rather than collapsed but a very good trade off for the performance.

Back